Friday, November 25, 2011

chronicle of Watami Restaurant, Singapore

I was recently on holiday in Singapore and found myself in the Ion Orchard shopping centre around lunchtime. There are abundance of restaurants to choose from but Watami in Singapore caught my eye. The girl face handed me a flyer with a set lunch menu on it and that was enough to make up my mind.

Venturing in, I got the impression that the staff were very friendly. The place was quite full but I was served promptly. I decided to order the sukiyaki teishoku. It looked very nice on the photo and at only 12.80 Singapore dollars including a salad, miso soup, rice and soft drink or cup of tea, it seemed good.

Bank Orchard

Perhaps I should have brushed up on my Japanese before ordering because the waiter brought out a cooker plus a lot of raw ingredients! Not much fazes me so I got right to work on the sukiyaki. I was not sure how to cook all things or adjust the high flame but fortunately the waiter came to my aid when plumes of smoke began to annoy the other diners! I was not sure what to do with the raw beaten egg whether but one of the waiters explained it was for the beef.

The sukiyaki comes with raw steak (sliced very thinly), cabbage, mushrooms and more. It is a very healthy choice but do not be fooled. It is incredibly tasty. For some reason I got two bowls of miso soup and two bowls of rice with the sukiyaki but could only administrate the one!

Other Menu Options

You can choose from a lot of dissimilar set lunches or go for the a la carte option. At approximately 7 Singapore dollars a plate (that is around .50 Us or 3.50 British pounds) it is hardly going to break the bank!

You might like the kimchee, the agedashi eggplant, the mixed sashimi or the salmon stone pot with rice. I had a peek at what the citizen around me were eating and all things looked fantastic from the Japanese and Chinese starter recipes like salad or miso to the main courses which were aromatic, colourful and delicious-looking.

My Conclusion

On the whole I was greatly impressed with this bistro in Singapore. There was only one tiny complaint and that was that I sent my tea back because I had requested something sugar-free and the tea was sweet (they do not offer sugar free cola, 7Up or other soft drinks either) but it was supplanted with an unsweetened one in a matter of minutes.

I do not give praise lightly but I was incredibly impressed with Watami Singapore. On their leaflet it says "Japanese casual restaurant" and that sums the place up. It is a place to relax and enjoy typical Japanese food in a cordial atmosphere. The service is fantastic (my meal arrived within five minutes even though the bistro was busy) and the food was perfect.

Most Singapore bistro menus exclude the 10% service charge and the 7% tax but since the bill for the whole meal was 15 Singapore dollars it was still an staggering bargain, since that is 12 American dollars or 7 British pounds! I cannot wait to go back!

chronicle of Watami Restaurant, Singapore

No comments:

Post a Comment